Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Choices


My cousin owns about 175 acres in Arkansas. She and her family have been raising birds for years now that eventually get to our local pet stores, such as Petco. They also raise guinea pigs, rabbits, a snake or two.

They work really hard too, because they do it right. They make sure their animals are healthy, and clean and well cared for, and they expect anyone that buys their animals to treat them the same way! They have a beautiful home, and their children live close by and also work with the animals. The Lord has blessed them.

It was so nice and peaceful out there. If you sit out on the patio, early in the morning and again in the evening you can watch the deer as they walk across the yard. And when it gets dark you can actually see hundreds of stars because you don't have all the lights around that dull the brightness of the starlight. I loved it!

That's what I want for myself. To be able to slow life down a little bit. I think it's still possible to get a little land somewhere (maybe...say 5 acres, I won't be greedy!) and have a little house, a garden. Sit out on my porch and enjoy God's creation. We just don't take the time to do that anymore. I know I don't.

We brought home a cockateil. They hand feed their birds, so he's pretty tame and used to being handled. I'm hoping to be able to teach him to talk. I had a cockateil once before who had so much personality and was really sweet. Supposedly the males are easier to teach. Guess we'll see. I don't know what to name him though!

3 comments:

Kevin Beck said...

Patrice,
The bird is beautiful. So is you family reunion pic. We'll be in Arkansas in a couple of weeks. My wife's family lives there.

Blessings

Trish said...

Hi Kevin,

What part of Arkansas is your wife's family from? My Aunt and cousins live in Lockesburg and Nashville. Very beautiful out where they live!

I finally decided to name my little cockateil "Cosmo". Do you ever watch Seinfeld? He sort of has that Cosmo Kramer hair thing going!

Kevin Beck said...

Patrice,
They're from Conway.

Cosmo is a great name. You're a Seinfeld fan? That team really caught lightning in a bottle for a few years. None have reall be nearly as "successful" (comercially speaking) since then.

Seinfeld may have been the last great sitcom--at least until the next one comes around.

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Elie Lash