Friday, September 28, 2007

Making Apple Pies







We're still working on our apples and pears. John and I picked the last of them off the trees early this week.
I made a couple of apple pies this week. I wanted to add the recipe I use. This is by FAR the BEST and EASIEST crust recipe I have ever used. Be sure to double the recipe if you want to have a double crust on pie, as this is just for bottom crust.

Crust Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
3 tablespoons ice water

Mix flour and salt together. Cut in shortening til mixture resembled coarse crumbs. Drizzle 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water over flour (I use 4). Gently gather into a ball. Roll out dough. Put in pie plate.
I just put all the ingredients in at one time into my KitchenAid and let it mix it all up. So easy! (Maybe a blender or a regular mixer would do the same thing?)

Filling Ingredients:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
6 medium (6 cups) apples, peeled, sliced 1/4 inch
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon granulated sugar

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Combine all filling ingredients except apples, 1 tablespoon butter and 1 teaspoon sugar in large bowl. Add apples; toss lightly to coat. Spoon apple mixture into crust. Place dough over filling. Trim, seal and crimp or flute edge. Cut 5 or 6 large slits in crust. Brush with 1 tablespoon melted butter; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar. Cover edge of crust with 2-inch strip aluminium foil. Bake 35 minutes; remove aluminium foil. Continue baking for 10-20 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust. Cool pie 30 minutes; serve warm.

And just one more SECRET I learned from one of the ladies here who makes the BEST apple pies I have ever tasted: put a pinch of cardamom in your filling (it's part of the ginger family). Try a pinch next time you make an apple pie and you'll see what I mean! Delicious!

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Elie Lash