Sunday, March 02, 2008

Happy 84th Birthday Mom!


Yes...another birthday. Today my mom is 84. I can't be with her because she lives in Texas now and I live in Washington state. (the picture above was taken a couple of years ago...I think it was her 82nd birthday?) Every year I would ask mom what she wanted for her birthday...and every year she said she wanted me to bake her a carrot cake! In honor of mom, here is the recipe I use. It is the BEST carrot cake I have ever tasted (a huge thank you to Ruby McCaleb, the lovely lady I got this recipe from!)

Carrot Cake
2 cups sugar
2 cups sifted plain flour
1 1/2 cups salad oil
4 eggs
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chopped pecans (I usually use walnuts because I don't have pecans!)
3 cups grated carrots
1 teaspoon vanilla

Sift together sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add oil, eggs, and vanilla. Beat well. Add carrots and pecans. Bake in 3 greased and floured cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes.

Icing
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1 box powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
small amount milk
1/2 stick margarine
Cream all ingredients together and spread on layers. Stack and ice completely.

Enjoy!

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Elie Lash